There are a lot of people using great digital marketing practices out there that bring you great joy. Then there are others that make you roll your eyes, shake your head or possibly scream "WHYYYYY!!". It seems I'm running into these bad marketing practices more and more these days and it's making me feel like the Grinch. With that being said, I've created a list of bad marketing practices that I want to steal, but never, ever give back:
- Receiving automated direct messages after you follow someone new on twitter. Don't give me a canned response just because I followed you. Take a moment to look at my profile if you are going to communicate with me.
- Tweets automatically being retweeted or liked because I use a certain hashtag. You could be liking the wrong stuff!
- Social media accounts that are rarely used. It's like paying for a gym membership, but only going once a month. You aren't going to see great results that way.
- When you reach out to a company via social media and they never respond. Be present online people! If you setup a twitter account, but only pay attention to your Facebook account, close the darn twitter account.
- Websites that have a copyright that is not current. It makes visitors question if the content is accurate or if the business is still active.
- Receiving LinkedIn InMail's offering something that does not relate to me. I especially enjoy when I receive mail offering me website design services when in fact that is what I do. Stop being lazy people and do your research!
- Websites that just speak about how wonderful their product is, instead of talking about the pain points they could help me solve. Telling me you're the best isn't going to sell me. Telling me how you can help me is what makes a connection and turns me into a lead.
- Social media accounts that only share their content. Not one person has all of the best content. Share content from others and your followers will turn to you more often for current trends and remarkable content.
- Social media accounts that offer you 10,000+ new followers. Get your users organically. Earn your followers, don't buy them!
- Only posting memes on Instagram or other users photos. This is where we want to learn about the people in your company and the passion behind why you do what you do. Make it personal.
Phew! That is enough grinchiness from me in one blog post. Do you have any others you would add to the list? Let me know in the comments below. And if you are guilty of doing any of these, please stop! Your followers and your website visitors will be happier to engage with you and your company.