Luckily, I live with a car guy who makes sure every oil change is done on time, my winter tires are switched over, brake pads are changed and all the other wear and tear maintenance requirements are handled. If it wasn't for him, I would probably be stranded on the side of the road already. And it's not because I'm not capable.
Unfortunately, maintaining a car was never really high on my to-do list before I met my husband. I would do the occasional oil change, add some washer fluid and that was about it. My car was getting me from point A to point B, so nothing was wrong in my eyes.
Ohhhh, Now I See It
Though now as I watch my husband frequently checking my car, I see the value that I was missing. Our cars last much longer, run more efficiently and keep us safer. You can't just get something brand new, not give it the love and attention it needs, and expect it will work the same as it did at day 1. Parts may break, better parts may become available and changes will need to be made in order for it to continue to work.
I think about how much I used to care about my car and then I think about the different websites that I come across that look untouched for years. For all these years, the owners of these websites didn't make maintaining their website a priority to their business, just like I didn't with my car. Again, it's not because they aren't capable, it is because, well, they didn't know or see the value in doing more with their website. The website had their business name, their address, a contact form, a list of products and services, etc and to them that is enough. And for a while that was enough.
It's Time For You To Get Under The Hood
So, what about your website? When was the last time you updated it? Just like a car, in order to keep it working at it's best abilities your website requires frequently scheduled maintenance. From the changes in the buyer's journey to being mobile friendly, your website requires attention often. It's super important to emphasize that the maintenance can not stop. Just because you recent had a big website redesign does not mean the website is perfection. You must continually service your website in order for it to successfully get your visitors from point A to point B. Here are just a few weekly website routines you should add to your schedule:
- Create a HotJar account and monitor how your visitors are navigating through your website. Make changes to the UX based on the results.
- Monitor your Google Analytics. Which pages are doing the best? Which websites pages need more visits?
- Check your content. Is the content up to date? Is it relevant to your buyer persona?
- Check your website on a variety of mobile devices and screen resolutions. Just because a month ago everything looked good doesn't mean it still does today. With frequent software updates, you've got to be on your toes and ready for change.
- Add new content weekly! If you don't have a blog already, it's time to take that step. Become not just a website that offers a great product or service, but a website that provides support and industry related knowledge.
Try picking three things from the list above and dedicate time each week to your website. It won't always happen instantaneously, but the value of having an active and monitored website is waiting to be unleashed.
Want to do more?